Home South African Principal shot: Three educators on 13-year-old learner’s ‘hit list’

Principal shot: Three educators on 13-year-old learner’s ‘hit list’

458

Three teachers were on the “hit list” of the 13-year-old primary school learner who allegedly shot and injured his principal on Friday, the Gauteng Department of Education has revealed.

File picture

THREE teachers were on the “hit list” of the 13-year-old learner from Primrose Primary School, the Gauteng Department of Education has revealed.

The plan was revealed by Gauteng Education MEC Matome Chiloane following a visit to the school on Monday, after the Grade 6 learner allegedly shot and injured the principal on Friday last week.

ALSO READ: Grade 6 pupil arrested for allegedly shooting principal

Chiloane said the learners and the educators at the school were shocked and still shaken following the shooting incident, especially after some of the details that have come out since the child was apprehended.

Gauteng Education MEC Matome Chiloane speaks to the media at Primrose Primary School, where the principal was shot by a Grade 6 learner on Friday. Picture: GDE Media

According to the Education MEC, the plot to shoot the educators was planned through a messaging group on WhatsApp, with the targets being the class teacher, the principal and the deputy principal.

While the shooting may have come as a surprise to educators and parents at the school, Chiloane said that, following interviews with some of the learners’ friends, it was found that the planning of the shooting had been in the works for quite some time.

“The people that were targeted were the class teacher, the deputy principal and the principal as, according to the child, these were three people giving him problems at school as they are notifying the parents.”

The MEC said that parents had been called to the school on Friday to discuss the child’s poor performance and to enquire about why the child’s homework book had not been signed for five weeks.

The child had apparently reported during interviews of being scared to inform the parents as a result of the punishment that would be meted out.

The 13-year-old is set to appear before court this week, while his father has since been arrested and is expected to also appear before court for child negligence.

The principal is still recovering from the gunshot wound in hospital.

Previous articleWarning over using tyres that are sub-standard on SA roads
Next articleSA’s youngest woman doctor among those unemployed, pleads for help