Home South African Ex-Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste had expected arrest ahead of suicide, Hawks say

Ex-Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste had expected arrest ahead of suicide, Hawks say

169

The former chief executive of South African multinational retailer Steinhoff had been notified of an arrest warrant against him shortly before he was found dead by apparent suicide, the Hawks said .

People gather at the scene where former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste apparently shot himself, according to the police, at Kwaaiwater in Hermanus, March 22, 2024. Picture: Reuters, Esa Alexander

By Esa Alexander and Bhargav Acharya

HERMANUS – The former chief executive of South African multinational retailer Steinhoff had been notified of an arrest warrant against him shortly before he was found dead by apparent suicide, the elite Hawks police unit said on Friday.

Warrants were issued for Markus Jooste, 63, and his former colleague Stephanus Grobler on Wednesday, the same day Jooste was handed a hefty fine for accounting fraud by the Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA), the Hawks said.

Jooste was found, reportedly with a gunshot wound, on a rugged stretch of coastline at Kwaaiwater, a suburb of the coastal town of Hermanus near Cape Town and later died on the way to the hospital. Local media said he had shot himself.

Reuters could not reach Jooste’s family while Steinhoff did not respond to requests for comment.

Once instrumental in transforming Steinhoff from a small Johannesburg furniture outfit into a multinational retailer, Jooste was fined for publishing false and misleading financial statements and reports from 2014 to 2017.

Jooste, who left the firm in 2017, had been expected to hand himself in with Grobler and appear for a court hearing in the capital Pretoria on Friday, the police said.

“The allegations include, amongst others, fraud, a pattern of racketeering activities and contravention of Financial Markets Act against Steinhoff International Holdings,” they said, adding that Grobler had appeared in court.

The FSCA said Jooste’s death would have no bearing on its investigation into Steinhoff, or on the R475 million ($25.0 million) penalty imposed on him.

“The FSCA is legally entitled to recover the penalty from the estate of the late Mr Jooste,” it said.

Steinhoff, the majority owner of South African and European discount retailers Pepkor and Pepco has suffered heavy losses and a slew of lawsuits since Jooste left.

– REUTERS

Previous articleKyiv, Lviv under Russian air attack; missile violates Polish airspace
Next articleNow that Markus Jooste is dead, will justice prevail?