A concerned citizen notified police about a domestic violence incident in which a man was reportedly assaulting his girlfriend and upon arrival at the scene, found the woman lying in a pool of blood with multiple severe injuries.
PRETORIA, June 15 (ANA) – The boyfriend of a 24-year-old Mpumalanga woman who was hacked to death last week, apparently during a domestic violence incident, has been remanded in custody following his arrest and initial court appearance.
Thirty-three-year-old Sdayo Joseph Zitha appeared in the Eerstehoek Magistrate’s Court on Monday for the alleged murder which took place on Friday at Hartebeeskop near Oshoek, Mpumalanga police spokesman Brigadier Leonard Hlathi said in a statement.
He said a concerned neighbour had notified police about a domestic violence incident in which a man was reportedly assaulting his girlfriend.
“Upon the police’s arrival at the scene, they found the woman with severe multiple injuries lying in a pool of blood,” said Hlathi, adding that paramedics certified the woman dead.
“Police then registered a murder case and immediately launched a manhunt for the suspect. Their relentless efforts paid off as they managed to immediately make a breakthrough the same day, when they sniffed the suspect out of his hiding place at Dundonald near Elukwatini,” said Hlathi.
Preliminary investigations suggested the man hacked the woman to death before fleeing.
“Police also discovered that on Thursday, 10 June 2021, the suspect was convicted by the court in a business burglary case where he received a suspended sentence,” said Hlathi.
Acting Mpumalanga police commissioner Major-General Thulani Phahla condemned the murder and urged community members to refrain from using violence to resolve domestic disputes.
“Gender-based violence can never be condoned as a normal behaviour in our society or something to be emulated. Those who grew up in violent family set-up where violence was the order of the day, should urgently get professional help before it is too late,” said Phahla.
Zitha will return to court on July 20.
– African News Agency (ANA)