The murder case involving an 18-year-old Pampierstad man who was beheaded in September 2020 has been closed.
THE MURDER case involving an 18-year-old Pampierstad man who was beheaded in September 2020 has been closed.
A 16-year-old suspect was arrested after the police found the deceased’s head hidden under a bed in a shanty on September 13, 2020.
The victim’s body had been found dumped in a ditch.
Community members believed that a panga was used to decapitate the man.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) regional spokesperson Mojalefa Senokoatsane said the suspect underwent evaluations by a psychologist and a social worker.
“He was found to be mentally unfit to stand trial and could not be held criminally responsible for his actions,” said Senokoatsane.
“As he is a minor, he will be kept in a place of safety until he turns 18 years old, whereupon he will be rehabilitated and reintegrated back into society.”
Senokoatsane added that although the case has been closed, the file will be kept in safe storage for reference, in the event that the minor ever repeated a similar offence in the future.
Senokoatsane said that the deceased’s family were offered counselling.
“It was difficult for the bereaved family to find closure as the person arrested in connection with the murder was not prosecuted.”
He added yesterday that the NPA was still awaiting a decision from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions regarding the murder of Stanley Segae, 67, and Elizabeth Segae, 57.
Their son, Tebogo Segae, who was 19 years old at the time, was arrested for their murder on August 27, 2020.
It is believed that their bodies were dragged behind a moving vehicle and dumped in the veld near Pampierstad.