Home News Child rape, murder accused wants to apply for bail

Child rape, murder accused wants to apply for bail

521

Accused Itumeleng Machabe, 24 who was charged with murder, as well as the rape of two young girls, has announced his intentions to apply for bail.

Accused Itumeleng Machabe. Picture: Soraya Crowie

ACCUSED Itumeleng Machabe, 24, who was charged with murder, as well as the rape of two young girls, has announced his intentions to apply for bail.

Machabe was charged with the rape and murder of 11-year-old Relebogile Segami, whose naked body was found dumped in the veld behind the Northern Cape provincial legislature building on March 31.

Machabe was also charged with the rape of a 15-year-old girl.

He previously abandoned his right to apply for bail.

Machabe made a brief appearance in the Galeshewe Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) regional spokesperson Mojalefa Senokoatsane said that Machabe indicated his intentions to apply for bail.

“The State will oppose any future possible bail application from the accused,” said Senokoatsane.

He added that the Directorate of Public Prosecutions requested a number of issues to be addressed through additional investigations to be carried out by the SAPS before a final decision would be taken as to where the matter would go on trial.

Previous articleMan run over by truck
Next articleRichmond Ladies still in the running for Super League spot