Home Sport Soccer SuperSport smashes Komphela’s unbeaten run

SuperSport smashes Komphela’s unbeaten run


Arrows came back from behind twice but couldn’t hold on to a draw at the end or snatch the winner at the death

Photo: Frikkie Kapp/BackpagePix

SUPERSPORT United smashed Steve Komphela’s unbeaten record as the coach of Lamontville Golden Arrows in a thrilling encounter yesterday afternoon at Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium.

SuperSport emerged as 3-2 winners in the battle of the maximum points.

Teboho Mokoena produced a moment of magic to steal three points for Matsatsantsa A Pitori at the death.

Komphela was on a five-match unbeaten streak in his tenure with Abafana Bes’thende across all competitions.

Arrows came back from behind twice but couldn’t hold on to a draw at the end or snatch the winner at the death.

Gumede made a significant save to keep SuperSport at bay in the early stages of the game. Aubrey Modiba pinpointed Bradley Grobler who did well to beat the offside trap but Gumede produced a fine save to deny the Bafana striker with his right leg.

Gumede was called in to action again and was at his level best to deny Evans Rusike with his left leg this time around. It was a shot that came out of nowhere.

SuperSport bossed the midfield in the first half. Dean Furman and Teboho Mokoena were orchestrating things in the middle of the park.

Matsatsantsa A Pitori were penetrating through the middle as they didn’t use out-and-out wing players on the flanks.

Arrows finally succumbed to pressure when Rusike found the back of the net with an exquisite header 27 minutes into the game. Modiba was the provider.

Two minutes later and Matsatsantsa A Pitori doubled their lead in a similar fashion as the opening goal.

Modiba drilled in a lovely cross and Mxolisi Macupu used his head to finish with aplomb.

It was two minutes of madness at the back for Abafana Bes’thende. Modiba was instrumental on the right and side.

Arrows were really struggling to deal with SuperSport in the air which forced Komphela to make his first substitution after 32 minutes. He sacrificed Wade Jooste and brought on Musa Bilankulu.

Gumede made another telling save to deny the menacing, Rusike in the first half.

SuperSport should have killed the game off in the first half. They created numerous clear goal scoring opportunities to put the game to bed.

Divine Lunga should have reduced the deficit for Arrows but blazed his attempt off target just minutes after the start of the second half.