Home Sport SANDF lose battle to LFA XI

SANDF lose battle to LFA XI


This lone goal awakened the army faithful on a jam-packed grandstand as they broke out into song

South African National Defence Force Chief of Staff, Lieutenant-General Vusi Masondo Photo / Jonisayi Maromo

A Sol Plaatje Local Football Association select team hammered the SANDF XI 3-1 at the Galeshewe Stadium on Saturday in a game that formed part of the SA Armed Forces Day festivities in Kimberley.

The LFA XI, coached by veteran footballer Bushy “Bro Bush” Modise, took the lead about 12 minutes after the start of the game. Virgil Swartz received wide on the left wing, outpaced his marker and let loose an inswinger which Defence goalkeeper Mzwandile Miya fluffed and let through.

The Defence team seemed at sixes and sevens, evidenced by the many half- and missed passes they offered which made their forward movement haphazard. The LFA capitalised on their opponent’s uncoordinated play, and Olebogeng Molatlhwa found a gap from the same left wing, dribbled his way inside and let loose a flyer that found Miya rooted on his line to take the score to 2-0.

SANDF coach Lucas Motsemme plugged the gap by making two quick substitutions. This tactic stabilised the army side which allowed Elias Khumalo to shine in the middle of the park. Khumalo soon unleashed a goalward shot that just about grazed the LFA crossbar. He launched two more such shots in the course of the game which made him a thorn in the flesh of the LFA team.

The teams went into the break with the locals leading 2-0. Motsemme brought in more firepower for the army side as he paired Malume “Maritzburg Express” Gwala with Khumalo in the middle of the park. The presence of the two saw the army side get their tail up and move forward more efficiently.

The army’s pressure on the LFA team soon paid off as they were rewarded with a penalty from which they scored which turned out to be their only goal of the match.

This lone goal awakened the army faithful on a jam-packed grandstand as they broke out into song.

However, the LFA XI were not done and came back to put the seal on proceedings when Thabang Jethro Setlhole banked their third goal taking the score to 3-1.

The pace of the game heated up as the army side found their purpose and sliced through gaps in the LFA defence. Khumalo got another shot at goal, but messed up his delivery.

The LFA lads, for their part, also took several pot shots at their opponents in the dying minutes of the game but ultimately failed to find the back of the net.