After considering all the options, Jordaan said South Africa could not benefit from match fixing and manipulation
The SA Football Association on Tuesday confirmed they accepted the ruling of FIFA to replay their World Cup qualifier with Senegal.
South Africa beat Senegal 2-1 in the qualifier in Polokwane last year, which was officiated by referee Joseph Lamptey. FIFA, however, ordered a replay after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) imposed a life ban on Lamptey for match manipulation.
“Our position is clear on the issue of match fixing and manipulation. We cannot benefit from such and take the points,” said SAFA president Danny Jordaan at a press conference on Tuesday morning.
Late on SaturdayJordaan issued a statement which read:
‘Ever since SAFA received the devastating news from the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers Bureau that the Bafana Bafana match played against Senegal must be replayed, we have mulled over what we should do in response to this ruling from FIFA.
“We have considered appealing, writing to FIFA, employing legal counsel and doing a number of other things as a means of reducing the stress of South Africans following this devastating news. One of the immediate measures is that SAFA will convene an Emergency Committee meeting on Monday (11 Sep ’17) to discuss the way forward.
“However, during this time of deep reflection, SAFA has observed innuendo that besmirches the personal integrity of the FIFA General Secretary that has no basis in fact. We, therefore, extend this humble appeal to all South Africans, and our compatriots in the football community around the world, to conduct the defense of our right to a fair process with the utmost dignity and also preserve the dignity of the FIFA General Secretary whom we hold in high regard as the first African to hold this senior post in our world football governing body.
“We shall do our utmost best to seek all appropriate remedies in this case whilst according the FIFA General Secretary the dignity she deserves.’ – African News Agency (ANA)