Home Sport Rugby Griquas run rampant at their ‘second home’

Griquas run rampant at their ‘second home’


The Namibians never really threatened their opposition and the impact of the Griquas’ replacement bench was evident with four second-half tries coming via the replacements

File image

The Tafel Lager Griquas convincingly beat the Windhoek Draught Welwitschias 61-24 (half-time 19-10) in the SuperSport Rugby Challenge at the Hage Geingob Stadium in Windhoek on Saturday.

This win extends Griquas’ unbeaten streak to three matches as their number one spot on the North Section log of the SuperSport Rugby Challenge is consolidated.

Three first-half tries, including a penalty try, by the visitors, saw them head into the half-time break with only a nine-point advantage, but they cut loose in the second half to win comfortably.

In the end, the men from Kimberley scored nine tries, while the kicking accuracy of their vice-captain, Tinus de Beer, and replacement George Whitehead ensured the visitors were always ahead on the scoreboard.

The Namibians never really threatened their opposition and the impact of the Griquas’ replacement bench was evident with four second-half tries coming via the replacements.

Clinical with ball-in-hand, the visitors never allowed the home side to get a grip on the game.

Speaking to the DFA after the match assistant and backline coach Scott Mathie spoke of what caused the two halves of the match to be so different for the visitors. “The first half was marred by a litany of errors on attack, while too many forced passes meant the side could not capitalise from any sustained pressure,” he said.

“Ruck speed was another issue that created problems for our timing on attack. This was largely due to a delayed reaction to winning the race to the breakdown. That being said, our maul functioned well on the day and brought much forward momentum and points on the scoreboard.”

With the half-time score only 19-10 in favour of Griquas the team went to the changeroom well aware of the areas of improvement needed in the second half; and they responded accordingly.

“However, the second half went according to plan,” Mathie continued. “There was a greater resolve to clean up quickly at the breakdown and look after the ball. This allowed the team to successfully expose the space in the wide channels which resulted in some excellent tries.

“The team played with greater fluidity in the second half and were able to find the attack rhythm we have been searching for in the past three games,” he added.

According to Mathie, there were some areas of concern though. “The team was left to rue some clear cut opportunities in the game which could have added to the scoreline; however, the trip proved to be a successful one, both on the field and off.

Away trips like these are always great for team bonding which is vital in maintaining good energy throughout the tournament. It was great to connect too with our title sponsors, Tafel Lager, and enjoy their hospitality in their home town right here in Windhoek,” he said.

The Griqua assistant coach said that now they had to get down to the hard work for their next home game this coming weekend. “We look forward to the process in preparing for the Bulls next week and we welcome a home game back at Tafel Lager Park.”

Point Scorers

Welwitschias, (Tries): Daryl de la Harpe, Thomasau Forbes, Chrysander Botha. (Conversions): Cliven Loubser (3).
(Penalty): Loubser.

Griquas, (Tries): Cody Basson, Godfrey Ramaboea, Wilmar Arnoldi, Anthony Volmink, George Whitehead, Michal Haznar, Sias Koen, Gideon van der Merwe, Penalty Try. (Conversions): Tinus de Beer (3), Whitehead (4).