Home Sport Cricket Boucher sticks by his apology to Adams and considers the matter ‘finalised...

Boucher sticks by his apology to Adams and considers the matter ‘finalised and closed’

62
Mark Boucher, head coach of South Africa. Picture: Ryan Wilkisky, BackpagePix

Cricket SA said it had taken advice from external lawyers, before its Board of Directors decided that the charges were no longer sustainable.

CAPE TOWN – Proteas Coach Mark Boucher described the allegations of racism against him during the Social Justice and Nation Building hearings last year as “unjustified,” adding they caused him “considerable hurt and anguish”.

He welcomed Cricket South Africa’s decision on Tuesday to drop all charges against him related to the hearings and Paul Adams’ testimony, and a host of other charges which were going to be tested at a disciplinary hearing next week.

That hearing will no longer take place and CSA – which was seeking Boucher’s dismissal, having charged him with “gross misconduct” in January – yesterday claimed that there was no basis for continuing with the hearing.

“The last few months have been extremely difficult to endure for me and my family,” Boucher said in a statement.

“I am glad that the process has finally come to an end, and that CSA has accepted that the charges against me are unsustainable.”

Cricket SA said it had taken advice from external lawyers, before its Board of Directors decided that the charges were no longer sustainable.

“CSA appreciates that it has been very difficult for Mark to deal with these charges hanging over his head over the last few months,” said the organisation’s CEO, Pholetsi Moseki.

“CSA regrets this. CSA is also appreciative of the fact that Mark has at all times conducted himself properly and professionally – refusing to be drawn into public debates about the charges, and carrying out his duties with commitment and dedication,” Moseki added.

“The performance of the Proteas Men’s team over this period has been extremely impressive, particularly in the Test arena, and this speaks to the efforts of Mark, his support staff and the players.”

Cricket SA’s case began to unravel at the weekend when Adams – who told the SJN hearings last year that Boucher was among a group of players who called him “brown sh*t” in a team song – stated that he would not be appearing at the disciplinary hearing, which was going to be chaired by advocate Terry Mothau.

Boucher had apologised to Adams last year for being one of the players who sang the derogatory song that targeted Adams, calling him “brown sh*t”.

“I stand by my apology to Paul, given during the SJN process, for the hurt he felt during his time as a Proteas player,” Boucher said in his statement.

“As I stated in my affidavit to the SJN process, some of the things that were said and done in those days were totally inappropriate and unacceptable, and in retrospect, understandably offensive.”

In its statement on Monday, CSA said that former Proteas assistant coach Enoch Nkwe had also chosen not to testify against Boucher.

Boucher said he considered the matter was “finalised and closed.”

“I look forward to continuing to focus on my job, and to taking the Proteas men’s team to even greater heights.”

Previous articleHoroscope: 11 May 2022
Next articleUkraine diverts some Russian gas flows, claims battlefield gains