Home Sport 2020 Le Mans 24 Hours will go ahead without spectators

2020 Le Mans 24 Hours will go ahead without spectators

99
SHARE

Protecting the health of competitors, partners and spectators has always been of paramount concern to the ACO and the FIA.

A car heads past the grandstand at night during the 87th 24-hour Le Mans endurance race, in Le Mans, western France, last year. Picture: AP Photo, David Vincent)

Paris – This year’s postponed Le Mans 24 Hours sportscar race will be run without spectators in September due to the Covid-19 pandemic, its organisers said on Monday.

The French race, usually held in June at the Sarthe circuit and now in its 88th edition, was attended by 250,000 people in 2019, with a large number coming from Britain.

Toyota is the defending champion.

“Sadly, the world’s greatest endurance race will be run this year with no spectators trackside,” Pierre Fillon, president of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO), said in a statement.

“Given the constraints involved in organising a festival-scale event over several days in the current situation, we have opted with the local government authorities to hold the race behind closed doors.

“We know that our fans will be as disappointed as we are by this decision but, with public health in the balance, it really wasn’t a difficult call to make.”

Fans will, of course, be able to follow the race from the safety of their own environment. Thanks to the new digital platform they will gain an exclusive insight of what goes on behind the scenes at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

“Fans will not miss out altogether. They may not be at Le Mans, but our media teams and service providers will bring Le Mans to them! We are sure that we can count on everyone’s support and understanding at this time,” said Fillion.

Reuters and Correspondent