Home South African Three children among 16 killed in Boksburg gas leak

Three children among 16 killed in Boksburg gas leak

305

The Gauteng police said a one-year-old baby is among the at least 16 people who have been confirmed dead at the Angelo informal settlement, in Boksburg, following nitrate inhalation believed to be associated with illegal mining activities in the area.

At least 16 people have died following a poisonous gas leak in Boksburg. Picture: @Lesufi/Twitter

THE GAUTENG police said a one-year-old baby is among the at least 16 people who have been confirmed dead at the Angelo informal settlement, in Boksburg, following nitrate inhalation believed to be associated with illegal mining activities in the area.

Police spokesperson Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi said three children are among the dead.

!function(e,t,r){let n;if(e.getElementById(r))return;const o=e.getElementsByTagName(“script”)[0];n=e.createElement(“script”),n.id=r,n.defer=!0,n.type=”module”,n.src=”https://playback.oovvuu.media/player/v2/index.js”,o.parentNode.insertBefore(n,o)}(document,0,”oovvuu-player-sdk-v2″);

“Sixteen people including three minor children aged one, six and 15 years-old have been declared dead while two were taken to a local hospital for medical examination after they inhaled what is believed to be a gas leakage in Angelo informal settlement in Boksburg on July 5,” said Nevhuhulwi.

“The police have opened inquest dockets for further investigation to determine the cause.”

!function(e,t,r){let n;if(e.getElementById(r))return;const o=e.getElementsByTagName(“script”)[0];n=e.createElement(“script”),n.id=r,n.defer=!0,n.type=”module”,n.src=”https://playback.oovvuu.media/player/v2/index.js”,o.parentNode.insertBefore(n,o)}(document,0,”oovvuu-player-sdk-v2″);

The initial death toll was reported as 24 but was revised down to 16 as the night progressed.

At least 16 more residents have been hospitalised due to the poisonous gas inhalation.

The victims are eight men, five women and the three children.

Four people are reportedly in a critical condition.

William Ntladi, spokesperson for the Disaster and Emergency Management Services in the City of Ekurhuleni, clarified that there was no explosion, contrary to widespread reports last night.

At least 16 people have died from inhaling nitrate oxide in Boksburg. Picture: Screengrab

“We received a call about a gas explosion, but upon arrival, we found that a nitrate oxide cylinder had leaked, leading to inhalation poisoning among the people in and around the Angelo informal settlement,” Ntladi said.

A secondary search is being conducted to locate other possible casualties within the shacks surrounding the area where the nitrate oxide cylinder was found.

Ntladi emphasised that there was no explosion, and the scene was being treated as a crime scene, with law enforcement, forensic photographers, and pathologists present.

“The search for additional casualties will continue as the unfolding scene is closely monitored,” he said.

At least 16 people have died from inhaling nitrate oxide in Boksburg. Photo: Screengrab

In January, Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi announced that the death toll from a gas explosion in Boksburg in December had risen above 40.

The gas explosion occurred when a gas tanker became stuck under a bridge and subsequently exploded on Christmas Eve last year.

Previous article350th Grand Slam win for Novak Djokovic at Wimbledon
Next articleStruggle icon Essop Pahad was a thinker and strategist – Ramaphosa