Home South African #SiamLee was alive when she was set alight

#SiamLee was alive when she was set alight

203
SHARE

Court hears how the accused removed Siam from the vehicle, threw her in a nearby sugar cane field, doused her with petrol and set her alight. He then fled the scene.

Nan Lee leaves Durban Magistrate's Court with Warrant Officer Rajen Govender after hearing how daughter was doused with petrol and murdered. Picture: Duncan Guy

Durban – The mother of murdered and burnt sex worker Siam Lee sobbed in court as the prosecutor told how her daughter was murdered in a Midlands sugar cane field by having petrol doused over her.

The prosecutor, reading from the cold emotiveless words of the indictment, said. “On arrival in the vicinity of Smidtshoek Farm, New Hanover, in the early hours of Saturday morning January 6 2018, the accused removed the deceased from the vehicle, threw her in a nearby sugar cane field, doused her with petrol and set her alight. He then fled the scene.

“The deceased died at the scene and her burnt remains were discovered later that day.”

While Nan Lee was sobbing, the smooth looking businessman charged with Lee’s kidnapping and murder, turned around while standing in the dock, looking at the packed gallery behind him. He may not be named as there is a separate rape charge against him.

“That was the first time they have spoken in court about her being murdered,” said Nan Lee after the brief hearing in the Durban Magistrates Court.

During the break, Nan Lee said that she had been undergoing psychiatric help at Addington Hospital where for the first time “I felt loved, unjudged, and had no fear.” She said he would probably not stay for the trial, but head around Asia, eventually to land up in Ireland doing caring work for organisations including animal welfare organisations “where I can get love and give love”.

“I really don’t see myself coming back to live in Durban,” said the mother, who with her daughter were both operating out of a brothel in Magaret Maytom Road, in Durban North 

The matter will now to the High Court for trial provisionally on March 11, 2019.

The Independent on Saturday