Home South African Seven confirmed dead in KZN storm

Seven confirmed dead in KZN storm

282

Cogta said two bodies were recovered in the Bayhead Canal yesterday. Other deaths occurred in Cato Crest, Pinetown and Glenashley in Durban and one death was also confirmed in Ugu Municipality on the KZN South Coast.

Women stand among debris including beds and roof sheets.
Cato Crest residents sift through debris after heavy rains washed away several homes on Tuesday. Picture: Doctor Ngcobo African News Agency (ANA).

THE KwaZulu-Natal Department of Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) on Thursday confirmed that seven people died in Tuesday’s storm in the province.

Cogta said two bodies were recovered in the Bayhead Canal on Thursday. Other deaths occurred in Cato Crest, Pinetown and Glenashley in Durban and one death was also confirmed in Ugu Municipality on the KZN South Coast.

The department said others were reported as missing.

Cato Crest residents on Thursday reported that at least 20 houses had been washed away and two people had died – Happy Gwija, 60, and 20-year-old Ludres Chambe.

Seven people were named as being missing by relatives.

At least 20 informal houses were washed away in Cato Crest on Tuesday. Picture: Doctor Ngcobo African News Agency (ANA).

Chicken farms in Inanda were adversely affected.

The heavy rains had also resulted in pollution at Blue Lagoon Beach in Durban, caused by debris from the Umgeni River.

THE MERCURY

Previous articleArchery standards soar in the Province
Next articleRevolutionising agriculture in Jan Kempdorp: Drones take flight to combat climate change