Home South African News SABC workers go on strike ahead of #ANCConference

SABC workers go on strike ahead of #ANCConference

148
SHARE

SABC workers have decided to embark on a strike on Thursday morning, according to the broadcasting company.

File picture: Independent Media
CAPE TOWN – SABC workers have decided to embark on a strike on Thursday morning, according to the broadcasting company. 

The SABC has said in a statement that they regret the decision by the workers. 

Union members and SABC management met late last night to revise the offer currently given to the SABC workers. But a resolution could not be made. 

“Following this meeting‚ the unions then met with their members to provide feedback. It is regrettable to note that both Bemawu and CWU members declined the SABC’s offer and have decided to proceed with their strike action on Thursday‚ 14 December 2017.”

“The SABC offered both unions a 4.5% increase for the last six months of the financial year 2017/2018 for employees in the bargaining unit to be paid at a later stage‚ when the organisation is financially stable‚” the SABC said.


This three-day strike will clash with the ANC national elective conference this weekend. 

“The SABC would like to assure the public that all the necessary measures will be put in place to make sure that the conference will be broadcast to the public of South Africa as planned‚,” it said.

“The organisation also calls upon the striking employees not to intimidate their colleagues‚ who will be coming to work and proceed with their action in a dignified manner. It is important to note that the principle of no work‚ no pay will apply.”

On Wednesday the Minister of Communications, Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane, called on all stakeholders at the South African Broadcasting Corporation  (SABC) to engage in a peaceful and constructive wage negotiations.


The Communication Workers Union (CWU) and the Broadcasting, Electronic, Media and Allied Workers Union (BEMAWU) rejected the SABC’s  latest 4.5 percent wage offer and threatened to resume the strike action over wage disputes on Thursday.

The unions went on strike last month after negotiations deadlocked as they were demanding a 10% salary increase backdated to April from the cash-strapped public broadcaster. 

In a statement, Kubayi-Ngubane said she respects the constitutional right of workers to embark on a protest action and believes that peaceful wage increase negotiations should not be subordinated to strike action.
-BUSINESS REPORT ONLINE