Home South African SA mom arrested by FBI for alleged child porn to remain behind...

SA mom arrested by FBI for alleged child porn to remain behind bars

230

A Cape Town mother arrested by the FBI during a joint operation after she allegedly sold photographs of her naked four-year-old daughter on the dark web will remain behind bars until November while the investigation continues.

File image

THE CAPE TOWN mother arrested by the FBI during a joint operation after she allegedly sold photographs of her naked four-year-old daughter on the dark web will remain behind bars until November while the investigation continues.

The 32-year-old woman from Bonteheuwel, who cannot be identified, made a third appearance at the Bishop Lavis Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

She was dressed in a long-sleeved white sweater and her hair was neatly combed into a bun.

She is facing charges of manufacturing of child pornography, possession of child pornography, distribution of child pornography and financial gain from child pornography and rape.

The case was postponed to November 17 for further investigation.

Eric Ntabazalila, the spokesperson of the National Prosecuting Authority, confirmed that the case had been postponed. “The matter of the Bonteheuwel mother who allegedly sold naked pictures of her daughter on dark web has been postponed to November 17 for further investigation”.

Local ward councillor Angus Mckenzie said they would continue to watch the case and hope that justice will be served.

“This is the third appearance of a woman accused of selling pictures of her own children,” he said. “Justice delayed is justice denied. A young girl and her siblings are suffering after what her mother allegedly did to her.

“Many perpetrators of child abuse and gender-based violence are looking at this specific case and thinking they can get away with it because the justice system is just not working.”

He said they had to ensure that the woman stays behind bars.

“This case places a strong message that these types of allegations cannot be tolerated and we will continue to be at this court, and the justice system will know that a community will not allow this violence and hurting of our children.”

The matter is expected to move to the Parow Regional Court.

Previously, the woman’s family told Independent Media that they were traumatised by what had happened and were not in a position to speak.

The woman’s five children have been placed in the care of family members.

An agent from the US Department of Homeland Security had pretended to be a buyer and traced the woman to Bonteheuwel after she allegedly received payments via Paypal.

Previous articleCall for R1bn Marikana lawsuit to be heard as soon as possible
Next articleSA firefighters to return home after successful mission in Canada