Home International SA calls for Alpha Condé’s immediate release amidst Guinea coup

SA calls for Alpha Condé’s immediate release amidst Guinea coup

164

The military has taken to state television to announce that Condé’s government has been dissolved, in what is clearly a military coup currently under way in the West African country

Republic of Guinea President Alpha Condé. File Picture

THE SOUTH African government said on Monday that it has noted with great concern the ongoing political and security situation in the Republic of Guinea, following the apparent coup that took place on Sunday.

“We call for the immediate release of Prof Alpha Condé, President of the Republic of Guinea, unharmed and the African Union to actively intervene to ensure a speedy return to stability,” said Clayson Monyela, spokesperson for the Department of International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco).

“The South African government further calls on the soldiers/military to exercise total restraint and refrain from political interference. In addition, South Africa urges all political actors and civil society to engage in meaningful dialogue in order to resolve the current political challenges facing the country.”

It emerged over the weekend that soldiers in Guinea had detained the 83-year-old Condé and placed him under house arrest on Sunday.

The military has taken to state television to announce that Condé’s government had been dissolved.

According to local and international media, the announcement in the West African country came after hours of heavy gunfire erupted near the presidential palace, around Sékoutoureya.

According to a statement which has been widely circulated on social media, Colonel Mamady Doumbouya, the commander of the country’ special forces, said: “We decided, after seeing the president, who is with us, to dissolve the current constitution, dissolve the government and close the land and air borders.”

“The personalisation of political life is over. We will no longer entrust politics to one man, we will entrust it to the people,” Doumbouya was quoted as saying by news broadcaster Al Jazeera.

Condé has been president of Guinea since December 2010. He was re-elected twice in 2015 and 2020.

He also chaired the African Union from January 2017 to January 2018.

– African News Agency (ANA)

Previous articleSA moves up a notch, now has 36th largest economy in the world
Next articleBottas moving to Alfa Romeo, Russell set for Mercedes