Home South African Police probe deaths of two kids, aged 3 and 10, in suspected...

Police probe deaths of two kids, aged 3 and 10, in suspected food poisoning case

590

An ambulance was called to the family’s home, but one of the children was declared dead at the scene while the second child died at Brits Hospital. Other family members were hospitalised.

File picture

THE POLICE in Brits, North West, have opened an inquest docket for investigation following the death of two children, aged three and 10.

A 32-year-old woman reportedly cooked a meal of pap, chicken feet and wheat for her family at Regorogile in Sonop, outside Brits. The police said family members and their neighbours’ three children ate the meal before they all went to sleep.

“According to information, the children, aged between two and 17, became ill and vomited in the early hours of Saturday morning, November 18,” North West provincial police spokesperson Brigadier Sabata Mokgwabone said.

An ambulance was called, but one of the children was declared dead at the scene.

“The other children, including the neighbours’ kids as well as the woman who cooked the meal, were taken to Brits Hospital for medical attention,” said Mokgwabone.

“Regrettably, the second child died at the hospital while two other children were later transferred to George Mukhari Academic Hospital.”

Mokgwabone said investigations into the matter, including the collection and testing of food samples, were still under way.

Last month, it was reported that two children on Gauteng’s West Rand died after apparently eating poisonous food obtained at a taxi rank.

That incident came just days after two children in Naledi, Soweto, died after apparently eating biscuits purchased from a foreign-owned spaza shop.

News of the deaths of the West Rand children was confirmed by the Gauteng Health Department at the time.

“The Gauteng Ddepartment of Health would like to confirm another incident of food poisoning that occurred on October 4, where four boys, aged two, three, four and six years, from West Rand district, allegedly consumed sweets and chips (obtained) from a vendor at West Deep in Westonaria,” the department said at the time.

“Sadly, this resulted in two of the boys (two and three years of age) being declared dead on arrival in Bekkersdal West Community Healthcare.”

Previous articleDept suspends CFO after R600k found in his car
Next articleMalema and five EFF members who disrupted Sona found guilty, face Sona ‘ban’