As long as Zuma had not tendered his resignation, opposition continued to push for the EFF’s motion of no confidence and dissolvement of Parliament
OPPOSITION parties yesterday welcomed the ANC’s decision to recall President Jacob Zuma but continued to push for the EFF’s motion of no confidence and dissolvement of Parliament, as long as Zuma had not tendered his resignation.
DA leader Mmusi Maimane said that as long as Zuma remains in office, the country will continue suffer.
“It is Parliament that elects and removes a president, not the ANC. Therefore, the EFF’s motion of no confidence, provisionally scheduled for February 22, must be treated as a priority and brought forward to within this week, in order for Parliament to remove Jacob Zuma,” Maimane said.
EFF deputy president Floyd Shivambu told the media that the party was not going to withdraw or hand over its motion of no confidence to any other political party, neither the ANC nor the DA.
“We are an independent organisation which has a mandate from a section of voters. We have requested the Speaker to bring it (the motion of no confidence) closer because now we think it’s an opportune moment for Parliament to express the last, definitive, terminative opinion of whether President Zuma must continue as a president or not,” Shivambu said.
The IFP’s Narend Singh said that the ANC’s announcement did not take the matter of recalling Zuma forward.
“We wanted a timeline. Hence we will continue to pile on pressure for the EFF’s motion of no confidence to be heard sooner rather than later, unless we get a resignation from Zuma,” Singh said.
UDM leader Bantu Holomisa said it had become clear years ago that Zuma was not fit to hold office.
“We can rightly say that the ANC only reached this decision because of the continued, consistent pressure exerted by opposition parties, civil society and the media, who played a critical role in exposing institutionalised corruption such as #GuptaLeaks,” Holomisa said.
He said the ANC had been protecting Zuma, at all costs, and must now own up to “this mess and immediately charge Zuma and his fellow gangsters”.
“We must ensure that the culprits face the full might of the law and that the billions of stolen rands be returned to the last cent,” Holomisa added.