THE HOME Affairs portfolio committee has welcomed the decision of the IEC to allow parties to register candidates for the elections.
The chairperson of the committee, Fikile Xasa, said the decision of the IEC comes after the Constitutional Court made a ruling on Friday.
However, MPs are still going to meet with the IEC over its programme for the elections, which are to be held on November 1.
The Constitutional Court had ruled against the IEC application to hold the elections next year February following the recommendations of the Moseneke report.
Retired deputy chief justice Dikgang Moseneke had recommended a later date for the polls.
Xasa said the Home Affairs committee fully supports the decision of the IEC to allow parties to register candidates.
The ANC had been caught in a tough space after it failed to register candidates in several municipalities.
But Xasa said this was an important window for all parties to register candidates.
“The committee has also noted that the IEC has taken a decision to allow political parties and independent candidates an opportunity to nominate candidates after the registration weekend has occurred and after the voters roll has closed. The committee is aware of the contention around this decision from various parties,” said Xasa.
“It is important to give the IEC the space to navigate this period in a manner that will ensure that the country holds safe, free and fair local government elections.”
– Political Bureau