Home South African Matric pupil allegedly involved in Cape Town baby snatching

Matric pupil allegedly involved in Cape Town baby snatching

69
SHARE

All the family wants is to know where baby is.

Cape Town – The family of three-month-old Kwahlelwa Tiwane will tomorrow come face to face with an 18-year-old matric pupil arrested for allegedly being involved in the infant’s abduction.

The teen is expected to appear in the Bellville Magistrate’s Court.

Police spokesperson Noloyiso Rwexana said they had questioned a suspect, but no charges had yet been laid.

“The person is appearing in court on Thursday. However, I cannot call them a suspect yet because our investigation is ongoing and the person is not arrested, but taken in for questioning.

“As a result of an ongoing investigation, SAPS detectives are questioning

someone. Due to the sensitive nature

of this investigation, this office is not

able to divulge more information,”

Rwexana said. 

The family said they were shocked

to learn that the person appearing in

court was a teenager.

They have pleaded that she tell

them where their baby is. 

Khwahlelwa’s mother, Asanda, said

the woman approached her at their

home last week, offering assistance

with social grants and food vouchers.

She lured Asanda to a fake office in

Parow, and this was the last time she

saw the woman with her baby. 

The baby’s father, Siyanda Thugani,

said all they wanted was for her to say

where the child is. 

“She won’t give us full information.

She tells her lawyer everything, but he

is asking for bail because she is under

age. 

“He is saying she should be given

bail because she is still at school. We

don’t want anything but our child,”

he said. 

The incident has left other mothers

in the area feeling scared and uneasy,

as they said it could have been they

who lost a child this way.

Nomasomi Feni said the woman

had identified herself as Monica from

Site B in Khayelitsha, and said she

registered people for food vouchers. 

She also gave people R1 000 in

vouchers and groceries and assisted

with birth certificates, Feni said. 

“When she came, I was busy doing

the washing and I let her hold my baby

while she spoke. I was comfortable

around her. 

“I was very shocked to hear that

she took the baby. She named two

organisations that she worked for, so

we had no reason to think she was

lying,” Feni said. 

She said after they heard that she

was implicated in the abduction, they

tried to call her but she did not answer. 

“I am so hurt; she left us feeling

scared. We would usually leave our

kids when we go to the toilet, for

instance. But now I lock up and leave.”

Ward councillor Xolisa Ngwekazi

said he was assisting the family as best

he could. 

“The problem now is, the community will trust no one coming with

assistance because of the precedent

that was set. It will make my work as

a councillor more difficult. 

“Every time

someone wants to visit a family, I will

have to stop everything I am doing to

be there because they are scared.” 

Cape Times