Home South African Matric exams end with no major incidents reported, says Education dept

Matric exams end with no major incidents reported, says Education dept

133

The NSC exams were written over five weeks at 6,326 public examination centres, 526 independent centres and 326 designated centres.

File picture: Ian Landsberg/African News Agency (ANA)

THE DEPARTMENT of Basic Education (DBE) said it was pleased that the National Senior Certificate (NSC) final exams had come to an end without any major incidents that could have compromised them.

The exams began on October 27 and concluded on Tuesday.

According to the department, a total of 897,786 candidates had registered to sit for the NSC examination. This included 735,677 full-time and 162,109 part-time candidates.

The five-week exams were written at 6,326 public examination centres, 526 independent centres and 326 designated centres.

DBE spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga said that apart from the reported incidents of some candidates caught with crib notes and cellphones, there were no serious irregularities reported that could have threatened the credibility, integrity and image of the exams.

Mhlanga said the department had put in place various measures which assisted in safe-guarding the exams.

“The department thanks all the learners, teachers and school management teams for the resilience they have shown in braving the pandemic with the single goal of ensuring that the Class of 2021 receives optimum support.

“We would like to further extend sincere gratitude to the officials in the provincial education departments, partners, educational stakeholders, parents and civil society organisations for going beyond the call of duty to support matric pupils before and during the exams,” said Mhlanga.

According to the department, marking is scheduled to start on December 8 and be completed on December 22.

More than 41,500 markers have been appointed to mark the scripts at 193 centres in different provinces.

The department said it was working with the Department of Health to ensure that all marking centres are fully compliant to the health and safety protocols to deal with emergencies that may occur.

Mhlanga said back-up centres had been organised in the event of an outbreak which would call for relocation.

“The department has increased the number of marking centres to ensure better compliance with Covid-19 protocols. All marking centres will implement stringent protocols, including daily screening, the appointment of compliance officers, supply of masks, sanitising and social distancing,” he said.

He further stated that the provincial Education departments would continue to work with Eskom and local municipalities to ensure that electricity supply to the centres would not be interrupted.

Previous articleCovid-19 outbreak worsens – Kaizer Chiefs unable to field a team for Arrows clash
Next articleRoodepan police net 15 wanted suspects