Family of slain Michaela Williams listened in shock as the court heard the words of her killer describing the 12-year-old girl’s final moments.
FAMILY of slain Michaela Williams listened in shock as the court heard the words of her killer describing the 12-year-old girl’s final moments.
Supporters and relatives sat in the gallery and in the corridor of the Western Cape High Court where Steven Fortune pleaded guilty to two counts of rape, murder and kidnapping.
Fortune, 49, admitted in his statement that on 7 January he lured the girl from her Pelikan Park home, raped her then killed her because she would have recognised him if she survived.
Her body was found in a vacant plot in Schaapkraal the next day.
Michaela had been playing in front of her New Horizon home while her murderer sat watching her and planning his sick crimes.
He said there was a commotion involving the police and he seized this opportunity to make his move.
In a statement read in court by his attorney Advocate A. De Jongh, Fortune said: “I saw her play outside and I told her I was going to buy her a birthday present and she didn’t say anything to me.
“When I spoke to her, I had already decided to rape and kill her.
“I went to the deceased and told her I’m going to buy chocolate and cake, but she had to come with me.
“We walked together until we reached 9th Avenue. We were about to cross the road. When the deceased did not want to walk any further, I grabbed her by the hand as she wanted to run away.
“I pulled her against her will to cross over the road… I saw a broken down structure and vacant land…
“I told her I wanted to talk to her and she started screaming and I placed my hand over her mouth, she struggled with me and she fell to the ground.”
He pulled off her top and choked Michaela with his hands.
The child fought back, hitting Fortune in the face until his nose bled.
He choked her until she fainted and tied her hands with her own vest before repeatedly raping her in the vagina and anus.
At that point, Michaela regained consciousness and started to scream.
Fortune said he then took off the girl’s skirt and strangled her with it.
“When I was done, I threw two concrete blocks onto the head, then I took a blanket and tree branches and covered her body and then I left the scene,” he added.
After being questioned by police, he told cops where he had dumped her body and he was arrested.
National Prosecuting Authority regional spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila confirmed Fortune has been convicted on all counts.
The case has been postponed to Friday for sentencing procedures.
Michaela’s mom Beatrice Adams said it was a bittersweet day for her: “I am happy that he is convicted.
“I heard in his statement he asked for forgiveness, well it’s too late for that now.
“When I saw him all I could think of is getting my hands on him to make him feel what he did to my daughter.”