Home South African IEC challenges MK Party’s attempt to withdraw election court case

IEC challenges MK Party’s attempt to withdraw election court case

234

The IEC has taken a defiant stance by requesting the Electoral Court to reject the Umkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party’s request to withdraw their court case aimed at overturning the election results.

IEC chief electoral officer Sy Mamabolo said the MK Party’s assertion that 9.3 million votes were missing was ‘patently false’. Picture: Timothy Bernard, Independent Newspapers

By Hope Ntanzi

THE ELECTORAL Commission of South Africa (IEC) has requested the Electoral Court to reject the Umkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party’s request to with draw their court case aimed at overturning the election results.

This move comes in response to the MK Party’s “serious allegations’’ on the credibility of the May 29 elections.

According to the IEC’s chief electoral officer, Sy Mamabolo, the MK Party’s assertion that 9.3 million votes were missing was “patently false”.

After accusing the IEC of “deliberate vote-rigging”, the MK Party on Wednesday last week gave notice to the court that it was withdrawing its case and that it would no longer be challenge the results of the elections.

However, on Friday the IEC wrote to court saying the notice of withdrawal was irregular and asked the court to set down the matter for hearing and argument so that the MKP’s allegations of vote rigging can be publicly ventilated and tested.

An attorney for the IEC, Moeti Kanyane, said “It is an absolute imperative that the matter is ventilated publicly and a final decision be made by the Electoral Court, at the very least to confirm whether the allegations against the electoral commission were made vexatiously and without just cause’’.

Furthermore, according to the IEC, the MK Party’s notice of withdrawal did not contain a bid for fees, in contrast to what Rule 41 anticipates. Punitive costs are necessary, it argues, to completely prevent the MK Party from abusing the legal system.

“The withdrawal is no indication that we do not have a compelling case for the orders we seek,’’ an attorney for the MK Party, Barnabas Xulu, said in the letter.

In a statement released to the media, the MK Party said it was resolute and would be filing papers as per the answering affidavit; which it said brought further evidence that strengthens their case against the IEC.

Previous articleBitcoin falls to lowest since February as fears of sales persist
Next articleElectricity milestone gives us encouragement to do more – Ramaphosa