The Ministry of Health confirmed that the full purchase amount was received by the department
THE DEPARTMENT of Health has recuperated the funds used to purchase the batches of AstraZeneca vaccines.
The Ministry of Health confirmed that the full purchase amount was received by the department on Monday last week.
Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize announced that the AstraZeneca vaccines, acquired by South Africa in February, have been sold.
“In the past weeks the department has had to ensure that all member states identified by the African Union vaccine acquisition team as recipients of the vaccines, are compliant and have obtained all regulatory approvals, permits and licenses to roll out the vaccines in their respective countries,” Mkhize said.
He said the AU and South African teams then ensured that all logistical arrangements were in place for the shipment of the vaccines.
“The minister is pleased to announce that the first batch of vaccines that is being delivered will benefit nine member states. The balance will be collected this week to be delivered to five other countries,” Mkhize said.
SA’s shipment of AstraZeneca vaccines arrived in February, however, government put the roll-out on hold after data showed the vaccine gave minimal protection against mild-to-moderate infection caused by the country’s dominant coronavirus variant.
It was also revealed that the 1.5 million doses of the vaccine received earlier this month will expire in April.