Wellington residents warned to be cautious
WELLINGTON residents have been warned to be more cautious after three bodies were found buried in the sleepy town.
Local community policing forum chairperson Christine Marais said the community was shocked to hear of the gruesome discoveries.
“We are a close community. It is very rare that such a thing can happen here. We look out for each other and are shocked by this. It is scary to think that all these murders could have happened here.
“We are cautioning everyone to be careful. We have to look after one another now,” she said.
Following the discovery of the body of 21-year-old Kuils River mom Chantelle Matthyssen, police confirmed they had found the remains of two other women.
Matthyssen went missing on June 23, and her body was found on July 2 on Aubon Farm near Wellington hidden under branches. Her hands were tied behind her back and a ligature was placed around her neck and tightened with a stick.
It was reported that Matthyssen was lured to Wellington by a family friend under the pretence that he would find her a job. When she did not make contact with her family, her mother called police.
Police spokesperson Noloyiso Rwexana said the remains of two people were found near Helpmekaar farm in Wellington and on the R45 Malmesbury Road last week.
It is believed the remains could be of Maria Isaacs, 24, from Malmesbury who went missing on June 16, and Natalie Jonkers, who disappeared six years ago.
A 47-year-old man, Johan Williams, was arrested for Matthyssen’s murder.
Rwexana said the bodies were yet to be identified. She could not confirm whether the murders were linked.
“The suspect was arrested and charged for the murder of a 21-year-old woman and his next court appearance is Friday. Detectives are continuing with investigation,” said Rwexana.
Marais said she had been to the scene where the three bodies were discovered.
“Its not a very busy area, it is mostly used by farmers and farmworkers. It’s next to the river and has lots of trees. It’s secluded.”
Provincial ANC secretary Faiez Jacobs praised Wellington police for the arrest.
“We understand that more missing women from the same area from as early as 2012 might be victims of a serial perpetrator and appeal to the community to assist us in finding closure in these cases.
“We call on the community to condemn these cowardly crimes against women,” said Jacobs.