Home South African Fake tickets may have led to derby stampede

Fake tickets may have led to derby stampede


Families not yet consulted about death of their loved ones

The scene at FNB Stadium after a stampede left two people dead during the game between Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates on Saturday.

FAMILIES were yesterday still to be officially consulted about the death of their loved ones in a stampede that killed two soccer fans before the Soweto derby kick off at FNB Stadium on Saturday.

“We cannot release the names of the deceased yet because we understand some family members have not been properly consulted about the death of their kin. So we are awaiting confirmation before we can visit the families,” said the City of Johannesburg’s MMC for Public Safety, Michael Sun.

An investigation is under way to determine whether the deadly stampede could be linked to fake ticketing.

Two people, aged 30 and 33, died and two were left critically injured on Saturday afternoon during the Carling Black Label Cup match between Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs. At least 19 people, including a child, sustained minor injuries.

The deaths were allegedly caused by blunt force trauma.

Sun said initial information indicated that one of the causes of the stampede was the sale of fake tickets at the stadium.

“There were allegations of counterfeit tickets being used at the entrance, but investigations later showed the problem was at the ticket vending machines,” he said. “A group of un-ticketed persons pushed their way into the stadium and that’s when the stampede occurred.”

Suzanne van Aswegen from Stadium Management SA said un-ticketed members of the public forced a number of emergency gates open despite the presence of police and private security,

“As the gate flung open due to the pressure of these people pushing the gate – chants of “push, push, push” were heard by eyewitnesses – the people pushing at the front of the gate fell over and the people from behind literally clambered right over them, causing blunt force trauma injuries,” said Van Aswegen.

Police spokesperson, Captain Mavela Masondo, said: “We have opened an inquest to establish what caused the stampede. There are various allegations that will be investigated and one is that of the fake tickets.”

The stampede broke out at GateJ of the stadium, reminiscent of the Ellis Park disaster in which 43 fans were killed in a football league match in 2001.

SA Football Association president Danny Jordaan said he would demand a full report and investigation.

Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane said she was confident that investigations would unearth the cause of the stampede.