The Department of Basic Education has announced that the third phase of the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative in the Basic Education sector will begin from April 1.
THE DEPARTMENT of Basic Education has announced that the third phase of the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative (PYEI) in the Basic Education sector will begin from April 1.
The second phase of the PYEI was implemented from November 1 last year and is scheduled to end on March 31. The current PYEI has been providing work to about 280,000 people who were appointed as assistants on five-month contracts across South African schools.
Education spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga said: “To ensure continuity, maintain stability and sustain impact in schools, the youth appointed in schools as at 28 February 2022 will be offered new fixed-term contracts commencing on 1 April 2022 until 30 August 2022.”
The department said since the education sector had now returned to full capacity, it had to consider the number of education assistants (EAs) schools could accommodate and the budgetary requirements, as well as the value added by assistants in schools. According to the department, some candidates no longer meet the requirements to remain in the programme, therefore, not everyone will continue into Phase III.
The department also urged all schools to submit the names of the assistants who meet the requirements to go on to Phase III.