Home South African Eastern Cape flood death toll rises to 10

Eastern Cape flood death toll rises to 10

211

A total of 10 people have died in the recent floods in the Nelson Mandela Bay metro in the Eastern Cape, the police said on Sunday.

Violent storms and heavy rains slammed the Eastern Cape, causing extensive damage in numerous places and taking several lives. Picture: X (Twitter)

A TOTAL of 10 people have reported to have drowned or died in the recent floods in the Nelson Mandela Bay metro in the Eastern Cape, the police said.

According to Eastern Cape police spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naidu, severe storms and heavy rains battered and caused extreme damages in many areas of the metro earlier this month, in particular Kwanobuhle, Kariega, Walmer, Blue Horizon Bay and Kamesh.

“In Kwanobuhle, four deceased persons were found. Kamesh, Kabega Park, Chatty and Walmer reported one each, with Kariega reporting two deaths. Today (June 9) the body of the 10th victim, a female who was reported missing in Kariega, was recovered on Sunday afternoon on the Swartkops river bank in Cuyler Street,” said Naidu.

“The victim went missing together with a friend when their car was washed away on June 1 in Kariega. The vehicle was also found submerged in water.”

Naidu added that there were also still people missing following the floods. “Searches for people who have not yet been accounted for are continuing by the SAPS K9, Search and Rescue and Diving units.”

On Friday, President Cyril Ramaphosa visited victims of the flooding in the province.

“Even though we know winter can be harsh, we are nonetheless saddened when we lose loved ones and face devastation on the scale we have seen in the Western Cape, Eastern Cape, and KwaZulu-Natal. At this difficult time, national and provincial authorities, as well as civic organisations, are working tirelessly to assist the affected communities with much-needed, immediate psycho-social support and humanitarian relief,” said Ramaphosa.

He said that financial relief is the first step towards the difficult task of rebuilding lives, homes, businesses and public infrastructure following such tragedies.

Ramaphosa went on to say that the government will do all possible to guarantee that the recovery process meets citizens’ requirements and allows for the renewal of impacted areas.

Previous articleZuma takes a swipe at ‘unrepentant thief’ Ramaphosa
Next articleNHI set to become battleground where law, health care intersect