Moments after Primedia announced they had parted ways with DJ Fresh and Euphonik, the rape accused duo said they were confident their names would be cleared and also announced they were available for gigs.
Johannesburg – DJ Fresh and Euphonik say they are confident their names will be cleared as they face a rape charge for an incident which happened 10 years ago.
On Wednesday evening, Primedia Broadcasting announced that the duo would be leaving Radio 947 with immediate effect.
They had been suspended after a woman took to social media accusing the pair of allegedly drugging and raping her in 2011.
The woman opened a rape case at the Sunnyside Police Station in January.
Responding shortly after Primedia announced that it had parted ways with the duo, Fresh and Euphonik said they were confident they would be cleared and also announced that they were resuming public engagements.
“After extensive consultation, legal and otherwise, we have concluded that it is in our best interests to resume all of our public engagements.
“We look forward to our names being cleared.
“Unfortunately, we can’t find common ground with Primedia and have agreed a release from our obligations to the broadcaster with immediate effect. Thank you to Primedia for all the great broadcasting opportunities and moments,” they said.
In January, a woman took to social media to publicly accuse the duo of allegedly raping and drugging her, along with three other women, 10 years ago.
The woman had prayed for the duo to acknowledge they had raped her, also saying that she was a virgin at the time of the alleged rape and had to take anxiety medication before she could speak about the incident on social media.
They denied the allegations.
However, Primedia on Wednesday said they had taken a decision to part with the two, a decision they said was in the best interests of the business.
“Primedia Broadcasting can confirm that, after careful consideration of the events of the last few weeks, the company has decided to release DJ Fresh and Euphonik from their contracts.
“Their last shows on 947 were aired on 15th January and 10th January 2021 respectively.
“This decision does not reflect a view on the veracity of any allegations against either Euphonik or Fresh. Rather, it prioritises Primedia Broadcasting’s business imperatives.
“We believe that this decision is in the best interest of our company and our various stakeholders,” said Geraint Crwys-Williams, the interim chief executive of Primedia Broadcasting.