Home South African Corruption-accused Zizi Kodwa, 58 MK Party members sworn in as MPs

Corruption-accused Zizi Kodwa, 58 MK Party members sworn in as MPs

411

Former sport, arts and culture minister Zizi Kodwa’s swearing in on Tuesday coincided with the swearing in of 58 uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party MPs led by impeached Western Cape judge president John Hlophe, who has been appointed as chief whip of the Jacob Zuma-led party.

Former sports, arts and culture minister Zizi Kodwa. Picture: Phando Jikelo, GCIS

A JOVIAL former sport, arts and culture minister Zizi Kodwa was at the Good Hope Chamber in Cape Town on Tuesday to be sworn in as an African National Congress (ANC) Member of Parliament (MP) in the seventh administration.

Kodwa’s swearing in on Tuesday coincided with the swearing in of 58 uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party MPs led by impeached Western Cape judge president, John Hlophe, who has been appointed as chief whip of the Jacob Zuma-led party.

Speaking to broadcaster Newzroom Afrika, Kodwa said he was only following instructions from his political party, the ANC.

“Well, I am here because I am on the list of the ANC. The list has been certified. I was supposed to be here last week but (could not come) because of other matters.

“As for the issues you are raising (such as the step-aside rule) I think the organisation (the ANC) can explain. I am not here to speak on behalf of the organisation, I cannot speak on behalf of caucus. I am here as a member, as instructed in terms of being number 25 on the list of the ANC.

“I am here as a disciplined member because I have been expected to come and be sworn in. That is why I am here today,” said the former ANC national spokesperson.

Before 1pm on Tuesday, Kodwa took the oath alongside Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla, daughter of former president Jacob Zuma and other parliamentarians.

Earlier this month, Kodwa resigned on the same day he appeared in court facing charges of corruption.

The resignation was announced just moments after the then Cabinet minister was released on R30,000 bail on June 5. He had appeared before the Palm Ridge Specialised Commercial Crime Court in Ekurhuleni, facing corruption charges involving R1.7 million.

Kodwa, former deputy minister in the Presidency responsible for State Security, was implicated in the State Capture Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Raymond Zondo.

He appeared in the Ekurhuleni court with his “friend” and co-accused businessman and former EOH boss Jehan Mackay. The businessman was also granted R30,000 bail.

Previous articleKenyan police begin to arrive in Haiti as security mission kicks off
Next articleSuspect arrested after woman’s body found in Galeshewe shack