'At a very close range, the snake had sprayed venom directly into his eyes.'
Durban – Durban snake catcher Nick Evans has warned residents not to approach snakes after a cobra spat in the face of a Kloof man on Wednesday.
Evan’s said the man’s daughter had spotted a brown snake in her bedroom.
Evan’s said that the family lived on the border of the Kloof Gorge and it had become a norm for snakes to slither into their yard.
“When he got home, he started searching the room for the snake. He moved a bag in the en-suite bathroom and saw the coils of a brown snake. It was dark, but he was sure it was a house snake. He bent down, reached for the snake, but then, ZAP!. At a very close range, the snake had sprayed venom directly into his eyes, ” Evans explained.
After the man was rushed to hospital by his family Evans removed the one-meter long Mozambique spitting cobra.
“Receiving cobra venom in the eyes feels like someone throwing or even pouring sand mixed with soap into your eyes. It burns like hell!” Evans said.
Evans said that if you have venom in your eyes one should to rinse the venom out of the eyes thoroughly and get help from a doctor immediately.
“The man’s eyes were very swollen, red, and painful. His face was even a bit swollen which to me was really surprising. After another rinse, drops of antivenom were administered into his eyes to combat the venom. This was the most serious case of its kind I’ve dealt with.”Evans said.
For advice on snakes call Nick Evans on 072 809 5806