Home South African BREAKING NEWS: Free State now has one confirmed case of coronavirus

BREAKING NEWS: Free State now has one confirmed case of coronavirus

262
SHARE

The Free State case is the first person to person transmission. The total in South Africa has risen to 17.

Johannesburg – The Mpumalanga and Free State provinces were the latest to have confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, the Department of Health confirmed on Thursday, as South Africa’s tally rose to 17. 

Until Thursday, there had been 13 confirmed cases of coronavirus confined to the provinces of KwaZulu-Natal, Gauteng and the Western Cape. 

In a media statement on Thursday, the Department of Health confirmed four new cases in KZN, Mpumalanga, the Free State and Gauteng – with each province having one new case each. 

Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize said the government had noted the announcement by the World Health Organisation that the Covid-19 was now a pandemic. 

“A pandemic is a worldwide spread of a new disease. Today, 12 March 2020, South Africa now has 17 confirmed cases of COVID-19. This is an additional 4 cases from Wednesday,” said Mkhize.

NEW CASES

FREE STATE: 1 A 32 year old male who came into contact with a Chinese businessman. This is the first case of local transmission as all others have been by patients who had travelled abroad.

MPUMALANGA: 1 A 27 year old female from Mpumalanga who had traveled to the United States. She returned to South Africa on the 7th March 2020 . 

The new cases: KZN – A 38 year male from Durban who lives in Turkey and was visiting his family in South Africa has tested postive . He had traveled to the UK and returned to SA on the 7th March 2020. 

MPUMALANGA: 1 A 27 year old female from Mpumalanga who had traveled to the United States. She returned to South Africa on the 7th March 2020 . 

GAUTENG: 1 A 43 year old male from Johannesburg who had traveled to New York via Dubai and returned to South Africa on the 8th March 2020 . 

IOL