Sabelo denied reports that he had initially declared himself unavailable to become Youth League president
ANC Youth League presidential hopeful Thanduxolo Sabelo says he is ready to help revive the national body and give it the credibility it had under presidents Anton Lembede, Peter Mokaba, Malusi Gigaba and Fikile Mbalula.
Sabelo, the incumbent ANCYL provincial secretary in KwaZulu-Natal, yesterday said that he was emboldened by the support of the youth league’s provincial leaders, including the Northern Cape, from across the country.
The Youth League conference is scheduled for September 6 to 11 in Gauteng, with the venue yet to be decided.
ANCYL treasurer-general Reggie Nkabinde is also eyeing the position currently held by Collen Maine.
Supporters of Nkabinde and Sabelo have traded insults with Nkabinde’s backers calling the KwaZulu-Natal leader an “empty vessel”. Sabelo’s camp apparently called Nkabinde a “non-starter”.
Sabelo denied reports that he had initially declared himself unavailable to become Youth League president.
“I never ever said I was not ready ready, all I said was that the discussion was premature and that at the time there was no conference of the Youth League or process that had started because the Youth League had an existing leadership.”
“I was approached by the regions here in KwaZulu-Natal and the chairpersons and secretaries approached me to avail myself for the position of ANC Youth League president.”
Thulisa Ndlela, eThekwini ANCYL Regional spokesperson, said that the region was fully behind Sabelo because he had earned his stripes.
He said that their endorsement of Sabelo had been warmly received in provinces such as the Eastern Cape, Gauteng, North West, Northern Cape, Free State and Limpopo.
“We’re hoping that he’ll bring more relevance into the struggle of young people which is about economic freedom in our lifetime,” said Ndlela.