Home News WATCH: ‘Standoff’ in Lerato Park prevents 12 houses from getting electricity

WATCH: ‘Standoff’ in Lerato Park prevents 12 houses from getting electricity

483
SHARE

“It has got nothing to do with denying anyone access to electricity and everything to do about securing the land that has become the subject of a court case.”

A fence around a shanty prevented workers from providing electricity to 12 houses in Lerato Park on Friday. Pictures: Soraya Crowie

TWELVE houses cannot be connected to a power supply because of a fence that has been built around a double plot shanty in Lerato Park.

National Treasury approved a R7, 2 million electricity project in Lerato Park.

Motheo Construction is currently on site to electrify 1 100 households over the next three months but were unable to connect the adjoining cables as they said they were denied access into the yard.

Workers on Friday indicated that due to safety concerns, they could not make use of a crane or bypass the overhead power cables between the main poles.

“You cannot have one electricity pole for a double plot.”

They added that progress was also hampered by shanties that had been erected in the middle of the road.

The owner of the shanty and former ward councillor Dennis Pienaar explained that he was part of a number of other residents who wanted bigger plots.

“It has got nothing to do with denying anyone access to electricity and everything to do about securing the land that has become the subject of a court case. The plots that were allocated are too small. My plot was bigger before and I even made it smaller. Sol Plaatje municipality does not recognise us and said that they would not provide us with power if we were occupying more than one plot.”

Picture: Soraya Crowie

Spokesperson for Sol Plaatje municipality Sello Matsie said engagements would be held next week in an attempt to resolve the matter.

“We are aware of the issue and investigations are currently ongoing. The funders of the project, the Department of Mineral Resources, utility councillor and city engineer have been informed. Engagements are scheduled for next week Wednesday to discuss the matter in depth.”