Home News ‘Varsity will remain open’

‘Varsity will remain open’

58
SHARE

“This is in direct contravention of the interim interdict granted to the university by the Northern Cape High Court on Thursday, February 13.”

THE SOL Plaatje University has remained steadfast that the university will remain open and classes will continue.

In a statement issued yesterday, spokesperson for the university, Kashini Maistry, said that the academic programme of the university had been delayed for two weeks and no further delay would be tolerated by management.

Maistry explained that on February 9, the student representative council (SRC) submitted a list of demands to the university management about matters pertaining to residences, catering, academics, health and well-being, finance and sports.

“Management responded to the demands on February 11 and developed a work plan for the resolution of these matters. Updates were provided to the SRC on February 14 and February 19,” said Maistry.

She added that on February 19, the SRC submitted a further memorandum of demand that related to the suspension of two SRC members.

“Later that afternoon the SRC verbally informed the chief operating officer of two additional demands, namely the lifting of the interdict which was granted to the university and full wi-fi coverage in all residences before the resumption of the academic programme.”

Management met with the SRC on February 20 to discuss the three demands of February 19.

“It was a cordial and reasoned meeting and management was optimistic that they had provided sufficient information to the SRC on the three additional demands submitted on February 19. The SRC undertook to consult with their constituencies and provide a response to management on their full list of demands (those received on February 9 and 19). No response was received from the SRC by close of business on February 21.”

Maistry said the university’s management sent out a communication to the SPU community on February 21 informing everyone that classes would resume on Monday (February 24). The SRC, however, sent out its own communication to students on Sunday, February 23, informing them that classes would not resume on Monday.

“This is in direct contravention of the interim interdict granted to the university by the Northern Cape High Court on Thursday, February 13.”

In terms of the order, students are interdicted from engaging in any activity designed, intended or calculated to disrupt the normal learning, teaching and administrative activities of the university; blocking entry or movement to or from the university campuses; intimidating, assaulting and/or threatening to assault a staff member or office-bearer of the university; and damaging any property or premises belonging to the university.

“The academic programme of the university has been delayed for two weeks and no further delay will be tolerated by management. The university remains open and classes will continue,” Maistry stated. “No classes will be repeated.”