Home News Unsafe wiring can cost lives, warns Eskom after NC boy killed

Unsafe wiring can cost lives, warns Eskom after NC boy killed

732
SHARE

This follows an incident where a 10-year-old boy in De Aar died after touching an electrically charged TV aerial outside his home earlier this year.

File image. Picture: Flickr.

ESKOM has urged communities to rely on proper installation and maintenance of electrical wires in their homes as it can be a matter of life and death. 

This follows an incident where a 10-year-old boy in De Aar died after touching an electrically charged TV aerial outside his home earlier this year.

It is believed that the boy made contact with the charged TV aerial, caused by the unsafe wiring of electrical cords with damaged insulation. 

The report from the technical investigation of the fatal incident noted that the damaged cord was suspended by a steel wire that was attached to a steel roof. 

The report further revealed that the TV aerial was also attached to the steel roof, and this was the final connection that turned unsafe wiring into a fatal accident. 

The senior manager for occupational health and safety at Eskom, Miranda Moahlodi, said in a statement issued on Tuesday that many homeowners seemed to think that having electricity was more important than ensuring that it is correctly installed and maintained. 

“This thinking has to change. We need not lose more lives due to this, particularly the life of a child,” said Moahlodi.

“It’s always disheartening for us at Eskom when we hear about those who have lost their lives due to substandard wiring.”

Moahlodi urged households to ensure that their wiring was properly installed and regularly checked by an accredited electrician with a certificate of compliance.

“This ensures that the correct materials and installation techniques are used from the onset.” 

She added that having the wiring checked regularly helped with detecting any issues before they caused fatal accidents.

Eskom urged customers to contact its hotline on 08600 37566 whenever they experienced issues such as continuous tripping of electricity or when they wanted to report unsafe and illegal connections in their communities. 

Homeowners are also encouraged to visit the power utility company’s website, where safety tips are regularly added, as well as its social media pages on Facebook and Twitter, where there are valuable resources for information on how to keep homes safe.