A Homevale family feels trapped in their yard after a pipe burst and left a hole in front of their gate nearly two weeks ago.
A HOMEVALE family feels trapped in their yard after a pipe burst and left a hole in front of their gate two weeks ago.
Homeowner Elma Damoense said the pipe burst on September 26, adding that her paving was also destroyed in the process.
She said she has been calling Sol Plaatje Municipality every day, highlighting how hazardous the situation is, especially to the children.
She complained that the municipal team only came to do “touch-ups” and then left without any explanation.
According to her, the municipal team came on Monday to drain the water in the hole.
“After I called the municipality again to complain, the electricity team came to lift the collapsed lamp pole.
“How can one replace a lamp pole in a hole filled with water? Are they trying to kill us? Imagine if someone trips and falls into the hole. They will be electrocuted,” Damoense said.
“I am a taxpayer and this is the treatment I get. I do not owe the municipality a cent. I am a pensioner and have to struggle to get out of my yard.”
Sol Plaatje municipal spokesperson Thoko Riet said the municipality is aware of the situation and is busy resolving it by following the relevant processes.
Riet said the electricity team went to work on the pole and ensured that the cables were not live.
“The waterworks team will soon be going there to drain the hole and close it,” said Riet.
“We also have a work order in place for the roads department to step in and repair all the damage caused to the paving.”