Two of the suspects were arrested in the Northern Cape and the Free State on the weekend
THE CASE against two men who are accused of being part of a cash-in-transit heist, where more than R4 million was stolen from a cash van near the Kalahari Mall in Upington, has been postponed to April 19 for their formal bail application.
Northern Cape Hawks spokesperson Nomthandazo Mnisi said on Monday that the pair – Mbulelo Shadrack Mbelo, 48, and Tshepiso Mojaki, 34 – were arrested on the weekend in the Northern Cape and the Free State, respectively.
“A joint operation by the Hawks’ Upington Serious Organised Crime Investigation unit, Crime Intelligence in the Northern Cape and the Tactical Response Team in the Free State led to the arrest of a 48-year-old suspect on Saturday in connection with the incident. An undisclosed amount of money was recovered in the Free State. A second suspect, aged 34, was arrested on Friday in Upington,” said Mnisi.
Mnisi added that the case against the first accused in the matter, Frederick Faku, who was arrested on April 7, had been postponed to Wednesday, April 14 for a formal bail application.
A cash-in-transit van was robbed of more than R4 million near the Kalahari Mall on Tuesday, April 6, at about 6am, after five armed men allegedly forced the van to come to a stop.