A student arrived home during the early hours of Monday morning to find his house destroyed by fire.
A STUDENT arrived home during the early hours of Monday morning to find his house destroyed by fire.
The incident is reported to have taken place at around midnight.
The owner of the house said that he believed that his home in Solomon Mahlungu Street in Phomolong had been set alight by a home-made petrol bomb.
It is believed that the petrol bomb was thrown through the bedroom window which resulted in the entire house catching alight.
The owner of the house indicated that extensive damage was caused by the fire.
“All my electrical appliances, including my television, air-conditioner, fridge, and microwave, were damaged. There were pieces of glass inside the mattress. All I have left are the clothes on my back.
“I will have to redo the electrical wiring because everything was destroyed. I am unemployed as I am studying to be an electrician and I lost all my business documents and certificates and will have to travel to Johannesburg to replace them.”
He added that fortunately no-one was inside the house when the fire started.
“I went to visit my sister on Sunday evening at around 8pm and made sure that all the lights and plugs were switched off before I left.
“Afterwards I went to DJ and on my way home, between 11pm and midnight, I was informed that my house was on fire.”
He said the fire brigade arrived on the scene and took about an hour to put out the blaze.
He stated that he had previously intervened after a person was stabbed.
“I tried to separate the fight and in the process my hand was cut after I grabbed the knife. I thought that the incident had been resolved but obviously this is not the case.”
He indicated that he now feared for his safety following the alleged petrol bombing.
No criminal case has been opened following the incident.
Spokesperson for the Sol Plaatje Municipality, Thoko Riet, said the fire department would investigate the cause of the fire.