They were investigating a power outage and discovered the highly-poisonous snake, “upright and staring straight at them”
MUNICIPAL workers were shocked to discover a Cape cobra in an electricity sub-station in Kimberley during an inspection yesterday.
Sol Plaatje Municipality spokesperson, Sello Matsie, yesterday confirmed that workers from the municipality’s electrical department discovered the snake inside the sub-station in Pullinger Street, Beaconsfield, at around lunchtime and “got the fright of their lives”.
They were investigating a power outage and discovered the highly-poisonous snake, “upright and staring straight at them”.
“The workers slammed the door closed immediately, got in their vehicle and drove off,” said Matsie.
He added that the fire department was then called in to assist and they in turn contacted local snake expert, Dawie Griessel, who arrived on the scene to remove the snake.
Griessel said yesterday that it has been a “busy year so far” with regards to snake activity in the city.
He identified the snake found in the sub-station as a Cape cobra and indicated that it was “one of the most poisonous snakes in South Africa”. He advised Kimberley residents to stay as far away as possible if they come across a snake and to contact a person who has a permit to remove the reptile.
Griessel said that it was suspected that the snake had started to go into hibernation and chose the sub-station for this purpose as it was “warm and cozy” inside.
He added that the snake was currently with him and would be released, at least 10 to 15 kilometres from a residential area, as determined by the law.
Matsie concluded by saying that the snake had caused no injuries or damage to the sub-station.