Home News Sol Plaatje has highest number of Covid-19-related deaths

Sol Plaatje has highest number of Covid-19-related deaths

2725
SHARE

181 new Covid-19 cases has been recorded in the Province.

The Minister of Health Dr Zwelini Mkhize has announced that as of today, August 8, the total number of confirmed cases is in the Northern Cape is now 6 366. File image. Picture: Courtney Africa African News Agency

FIVE new Covid-19-related deaths in the Northern Cape – which were all recorded in the Sol Plaatje municipal area – were announced by the Minister of Health, Dr Zweli Mkhize, on Saturday night.

This brings the total number of Covid-19-related fatalities in the Northern Cape to 66.

Mkhize said that 181 new Covid-19 cases had been recorded in the Province.

“A cumulative total of 6 366 people in the Northern Cape have tested positive for Covid-19. We convey our condolences to the loved ones of the departed and thank the health care workers who treated the deceased,” he said.

Mkhize said that the Frances Baard District has recorded the highest number of fatalities, with 37 people who have succumbed to Covid-19.

He said that the Sol Plaatje municipal area had the highest number of deaths in the Frances Baard District, with 30 out of the 37 fatalities.

“The John Gaetsewe and Pixley ka Seme districts both have a total of 12 deaths so far, Namakwa District reported three deaths and ZF Mgcawu District reported two deaths thus far. The Sol Plaatje municipal area has the highest number of deaths thus far out of all the municipal areas in the five local districts,” Mkhize said.

He added that more than 63 303 people in the Province had been tested and 2 474 444 had been screened.

Mkhize again highlighted the importance of hand washing for 20 seconds, or using hand sanitiser, wearing a cloth mask and maintaining social distance in order for residents to protect themselves from contracting the virus.