Home News Six NC schools closed due to suspected Covid-19 cases

Six NC schools closed due to suspected Covid-19 cases

3802
SHARE

Northern Cape Department of Education spokesperson Lehuma Ntuane said a decision was taken earlier this week to close the affected schools to ensure the safety of pupils and educators.

File image. Picture: Simphiwe Mbokazi African News Agency (ANA)

SIX SCHOOLS in the Northern Cape have been closed following suspected Covid-19 cases.

This was confirmed on Wednesday by the Northern Cape Department of Education.

Schools throughout the country opened for Grade 12 and Grade 7 pupils on June 8, while the  Department of Basic Education has now also confirmed the return dates for some of the other grades.

Northern Cape Department of Education spokesperson Lehuma Ntuane said a decision was taken earlier this week to close the affected schools to ensure the safety of pupils and educators.

“The schools that were closed are Ikhwezi Lokusa Primary School and Enoch Mthetho, which are both in Noupoort, Beacon Primary School in the Frances Baard District, and Carnarvon Primary, Zingisani Primary School and Philipstown High School,” said Ntuane.

He added that the Department of Health would provide guidance on when to reopen the schools again.

“We will only reopen the schools once we have satisfied ourselves with the results of the contact traces. The Department of Health will guide us in this regard. We commend the swift action by the Department of Health in the early detection of Covid-19 cases in schools and we will continue to strengthen our collaborative efforts against this invisible enemy.”

Ntuane urged pupils to continue with learning at home.

“We want to encourage the pupils, educators and parents of the affected schools to remain calm and continue to practise good hygiene as we attend to the suspected cases. It is also the responsibility of the above-mentioned stakeholders to ensure they continue to do their schoolwork from home,” he said.

According to a gazette signed by the Minister of Basic Education, Angie Motshekga, the following grades will return to school on July 6: Grade R, Grade 1, Grade 2, Grade 3, Grade 6, Grade 10, and Grade 11. The final intake of pupils is expected in August.

Schools that meet specific criteria have been encouraged to welcome back more pupils before official dates. 

Department spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga said on Wednesday that schools wishing to fully open should approach the provincial education head.

“There are schools that have approached us to say that they meet all the requirements and they have a smaller number of pupils and they can receive all of their pupils from the other grades much sooner than we have suggested. They are free to notify the head of education in the provincial Education Department that they can do that, but in summary the entire set of directions will emphasise on the whole issue of safety for both teachers and pupils.”