Pupils have not been attending school at Barkly West Higher Primary and Mosalakae Public Primary since last week due to overflowing sewage problems.
PUPILS have not been attending school at Barkly West Higher Primary and Mosalakae Public Primary since last week due to overflowing sewage problems.
Following an inspection by a health inspector, the EFF councillor at Dikgatlong Municipality, Lefa Leeuw, stated that they had given the Northern Cape Department of Education 21 days in which to rectify the problem of blocked drains.
“We advised all pupils not to return to school until all the drains and manholes are unblocked. We understand that they have been missing out on classes but the sewage is a health hazard,” said Leeuw.
Northern Cape Department of Education spokesperson Geoffrey van der Merwe indicated that Barkly West Higher Primary School and Mosalakae Public Primary School were closed for the past two days due to a sewage spillage on the school premises.
“This posed a safety and health risk for educators, learners and support staff at these schools,” said Van der Merwe.
He added that the department completed the necessary work to remove all debris from 11 manholes as well as the siphoning of the main septic tank.
“The cost for the emergency work is estimated at R500,000.”
Van der Merwe stated that the district office has developed a curriculum recovery plan to ensure that learning losses are recovered and that the academic performance of pupils is not negatively affected.
“Normal learning and teaching commenced at both schools on Thursday.”