Home News Samwu calls off Sol strike

Samwu calls off Sol strike

370

The municipal union has called off strike action due to restrictions on gatherings under the Covid-19 regulations.

Sol Plaatje Municipality
File picture: Soraya Crowie

THE SA Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) has called off planned strike action due to the Covid-19 regulations.

The union last week issued a notice to strike on Wednesday, August 4 following its unhappiness over a number of alleged irregular appointments at Sol Plaatje Municipality and the failure of local labour forums to convene for the past three months.

Samwu local chairperson Daily Semau said on Monday that they had been advised by the regional, provincial and national office to suspend the protest as gatherings of more than 100 people were prohibited by the lockdown restrictions.

“We have therefore immediately halted all strike action until further notice. In view of recent incidents of lawlessness and looting, we do not want opportunists to take advantage of the situation or any acts of criminality to take place.” said Semau.

Previous article‘Idols SA’ auditions end on a high note as 108 hopefuls prepare for Theatre Week
Next articleConcern over Sassa’s ability to deliver reinstated R350 grant