Home News Relief as SABC staff test negative, city office remains closed

Relief as SABC staff test negative, city office remains closed

49
SHARE

Staff underwent testing last week, after a colleague had tested positive for Covid-19 following an interview with German tourists in Upington.

THE SABC office in Kimberley will remain on lockdown, as a precaution, although a number of staff members on social media expressed relief that they had tested negative for the coronavirus. 

Staff underwent testing last week, after a colleague had tested positive for Covid-19 following an interview with German tourists in Upington. 

The public broadcaster on March 28 confirmed that a second employee at its Johannesburg office was hospitalised after also testing positive. 

Acting SABC spokesperson Mmoni Seapolelo said on Tuesday that they were “continuously monitoring” the positive coronavirus case in Kimberley.

“The individual concerned is, at this stage, doing well. In terms of all the employees who were in self-quarantine as a result of exposure to the individual, the organisation can report that these employees will complete the prescribed 14 days self-quarantine period on April 2,” said Seapolelo.

She added that the SABC was taking all the necessary steps to ensure that the premises are properly disinfected prior to the re-occupation by staff members. 

“Until the necessary disinfection is completed the Kimberley office remains in lockdown, and Kimberley will continue to be supported from our Bloemfontein office.’’