Home News Protesters prepare to shut down NC towns

Protesters prepare to shut down NC towns

816
SHARE

The community indicated that they were “gatvol” and angry as their grievances were time and again overlooked

TORCHED: The ANC offices and Itireleng Disabled Centre in Warrenton were set alight last week. Picture: Supplied

WARRENTON and Barkly West residents are preparing to stage a shutdown of the towns this week, over service delivery complaints that they said are falling on deaf ears.

Warrenton residents are demanding the immediate removal of the Ward 3 councillor and ANC chief whip at Magareng Municipality.

This follows after ANC offices, the Itireleng Disabled Centre and the reception area of Magareng Municipality were torched last week.

Protesters also hurled stones at the mayor’s house in Ikhutseng and threatened to burn down both the residences of the mayor and the ward councillor.

The community indicated that they were “gatvol” and angry as their grievances were time and again overlooked.

The disgruntled residents said that a meeting convened by the mayor, members of the mayoral committee and the ANC Regional Executive Committee, in an attempt to resolve the matter, was disrupted on Friday. “Nothing was achieved during the meeting.”

The community had previously complained that the ward councillor was not convening meetings.

The service delivery problems include water shortages, poorly-constructed houses and a lack of development, including the construction of a tar road in Ward 3 and the installation of high-mast lights near the Pumla garage.

With schools reopening for the second term this week, Barkly West residents are also planning to shut down the town.

De Beershoogte residents in Spitskop Road said that the problem of sewage flowing down the street had still not been fixed, after the Dikgatlong Municipality had promised to do so.

“If a contractor has not been appointed by Monday (today), all hell will break loose. We cannot continue living with this disaster.”

Independent councillor Mentley Bezuidenhout added that the acting municipal officials who were seconded to Dikgatlong Municipality, to rescue it from its service delivery quagmire, had brought no change to the town.

“It is wasteful expenditure to pay officials to sit at home while acting allowances are being paid to officials who are not doing their jobs,” said Bezuidenhout.

He stated that the Section 106 investigation report had yet to be discussed by council.

“There has been no movement on the report since it was handed over and Premier Sylvia Lucas visited the community last year. It seems there is no hope left. The municipality must be placed under administration.”

ANC Frances Baard spokesperson Tshepo Louw said the ANC in the region was looking at different interventions to deal with critical issues of service delivery.

“We have engaged with our deployees on the matter and we will continue to push for services to be delivered to our masses. We are also working with deployees to stabilise the municipality. We call on community members to remain calm and violent free as they demonstrate their issues. The ANC will not rest until an amicable solution is found,” said Louw.