PREMIER Sylvia Lucas has bowed to pressure from the ANC Provincial Executive Committee and the National Executive Committee and has agreed to rescind her controversial cabinet reshuffle, which saw the axing of the MEC for Finance, Economic Development and Tourism, Mac Jack, and the MEC for Transport, Safety and Liaison, Pauline Williams, shortly before the ANC provincial elective conference in Colesberg last month.
Up until yesterday Lucas had not complied with the set deadline of May 19 to reverse her cabinet reshuffle, with ANC provincial secretary Deshi Ngxanga accusing her of ill-discipline and expressing his irritation over her failure to follow ANC orders.
It is only after a visit to the ANC top six at Luthuli House earlier this week that Lucas has obliged, apparently after receiving a tongue lashing for failing to consult with the necessary structures.
Lucas had earlier met with the Hawks but did not wish to divulge if it was related to the alleged misuse of state funds.
The Department of Finance, Economic Development and Tourism had rubbished media reports that indicated that R26 million was allegedly siphoned from state coffers to fund the Colesberg conference, where Lucas declined her nomination to stand as ANC provincial chairperson.
Lucas yesterday indicated that she had agreed to rescind her recent cabinet reshuffle after having met and briefed the top six officials of the ANC as well as the provincial leadership.
Spokesperson for the Office of the Premier, Bronwyn Thomas-Abrahams, said the decision was taken to reverse the reshuffle after it was found that proper consultation had not taken place.
“The premier accepted it as such and will abide by the decision.”
The ANC yesterday welcomed the resolution taken by Lucas to rescind the reshuffle.
Ngxanga said the ANC remained the strategic centre of power that had to be consulted when strategic decisions of this nature were taken.
Forever grateful for the service and sacrifice of all who fought to protect our freedoms and defend this country we love. pic.twitter.com/y7IQltbEz9
— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) May 29, 2017
“ANC public representatives serve at the behest of the ANC and must at all times derive their mandates from the ANC. No reshuffling of executives, be it at municipal or provincial level, must take place without consultation. This principle applies to everyone deployed in strategic positions and the ANC does not plan to change its position on this matter.”
Jack stated that he would convene a press briefing in “due course”.