Home News Police operation yields success

Police operation yields success

233
SHARE

“The operation included visits to various residential addresses in Delportshoop, Kathu and Dingleton,”

Items seized during Operation Vat Alles.

AN INTELLIGENCE-led police operation, “Operation Vat Alles”, undertaken last weekend in the Frances Baard and John Taolo Gaetsewe clusters, saw numerous successes, including the arrest of three male suspects and the confiscation of goods worth approximately R3.5 million.

The men appeared in court earlier this week following their arrests.

Police spokesperson, Captain Sergio Kock, said yesterday that “Operation Vat Alles” was focused on the recovery of stolen or carjacked vehicles, as well as the illegal possession of firearms and ammunition, stock theft and possession of wildlife.

“The operation included visits to various residential addresses in Delportshoop, Kathu and Dingleton,” Kock said.

“Various specialised units under the command of the JTG Cluster Commander, Major-General Johan Bean, executed search and seizure operations and arrests at the respective identified premises in the three towns. This included personnel from the Frances Baard, John Taolo Gaetsewe and ZF Mgcawu offices, crime intelligence, provincial organised crime, vehicle crime investigation unit, TRT, public order police, criminal record and crime scene management, trio task teams, stock theft units, tracking teams, K9 units, provincial corporate communication and provincial legal services.”

Kock said that following the search and seizure operation in Delportshoop, a 54-year-old man, Alfred Locky, was arrested and appeared in the Barkly West Magistrate’s Court this week on a charge of possession of suspected stolen firearms and ammunition. He received R1 000 bail and the case was remanded until January 29 2019.

The police seized four unlicensed firearms and ammunition, as well seven vehicles and a trailer, alleged to have been stolen, while eight tortoises were confiscated and handed over to Nature Conservation.

Two men, Basil Ferris and another man, meanwhile appeared in the Kathu Magistrate’s Court in connection with suspected stolen vehicles. Ferris was granted bail of R5 000 and the case was remanded until December 19 2018.

Charges against the second suspect was provisionally withdrawn.

During the raid on the premises in Kathu, the police confiscated an unlicensed firearm, 62 rounds of ammunition and two empty magazines as well as laptops, computers, cameras, modems, cellphones, 2 400 euros and two vervet monkeys.

The police also recovered five vehicles on the property, which are believed to have been stolen.

In Dingleton, the police seized two vehicles believed to have been stolen and two unlicensed firearms with ammunition.

“All the other confiscated items are still under investigation,” Kock said.

The Provincial Commissioner of the SAPS in the Northern Cape, Lieutenant-General Risimati Shivuri, welcomed the successes achieved, adding that he was confident that the perpetrators will be brought to book.

He warned criminals that he would not allow them to make a playground of his Province.