Home News One year on and still no justice after fatal crash – widow

One year on and still no justice after fatal crash – widow

615

It has been almost a year since a horrific accident claimed the life of 39-year-old Neo Cindi and no suspect has been brought to book yet.

Picture supplied

IT HAS been almost a year since a horrific accident claimed the life of 39-year-old Neo Cindi and no suspect has been brought to book yet.

Cindi was involved in a head-on collision on Barkly Road in June 2021 while travelling with his friends. He was a passenger in the car.

According to Cindi’s widow and the mother of his children, Tania Cindi, the matter has left her in despair and deeply frustrated.

“On the day, my husband was driving with his friend. We got news of the accident and that my husband was taken to hospital (where he later died). We also heard that the driver from the other car fled the scene of the accident and did not wait for law enforcement. I was shocked as to how someone could be involved in such a matter, hurt someone badly and then run away from taking any responsibility,” said Tania yesterday.

“I lost my husband and the person whom I shared not only my life with but my daily responsibilities with. I was pregnant with my third child at the time. I now have to raise my three children alone.”

Tania said she is disappointed that nobody has been prosecuted for the matter.

“As a family, we are very disappointed with the law enforcement system. It has been almost a year since the incident occurred and although the driver who fled the scene had been identified, there has not been even one court sitting.

“My youngest child is barely a year old now and I still have unanswered questions. The driver from the other vehicle has been continuing with his life as if nothing has happened. He has not taken any responsibility for his actions or even answered for his actions.

“I am left with a huge void and responsibilities in my home. How come I have to carry the weight of this incident yet the one who is responsible for this is just let off the hook?”

Tania added that her husband’s friend, who was the driver of the car that her husband was travelling in, is currently seeking therapy following the incident.

“The victims in this incident are left to find the answers to this matter. We have made several calls to the investigating officer, asking how far the investigation is but were granted no answers.

“The person who caused my husband’s death is brushing the matter off like it was nothing. We understand that it was an accident, yet the driver from the other car has turned the matter into a criminal case. He needs to be brought to book for that.”

Police spokesperson Captain Tessa Jansen said the investigation is at an advanced stage and it will be presented to the prosecutor.

“The Kimberley police can confirm that a case of negligent and reckless driving was opened on June 19, 2021 after two vehicles, a VW Polo and an Audi A4, were involved in a head-on collision and passengers sustained serious injuries,” said Jansen.

“It was alleged that the driver of the VW Polo fled the scene. The driver, however, reported to the police station later that morning. The charges were later changed to culpable homicide after a passenger from the Audi A4 died due to his injuries.”

Previous articleA poo dose a day may keep bipolar away. When it comes to mental health, what else could poo do?
Next articleGriquas modest after big victory over Lions